April 20, 2011

Ramblings of a Changing Man: Glory

by Steve Ferber
Thru out the years that I have been a Christian I heard many things about God’s glory.  Isaiah 48: 9-11 tells us that God will not yield His glory to another, that He refines us in the furnace of affliction for His own sake.  I am thankful that the Holy Spirit, that lives within me, helps me thru these testings. 

As I meditate on how Gods glory is shown thru my life, I find that I need a little clarification. Glory: the fame, admiration, and honor that is given to somebody who does something important; something that brings or confers admiration, praise, honor, or fame; praise and thanksgiving offered as an act of worship to a deity. Glory to God in the highest. 

People in general certainly have no problem giving glory to athletes, musicians, movie stars, politicians and royalty.  As Christians we often give glory to our religious leaders, I believe that this can be a dangerous thing.  After all Isaiah 48: 11 says that God will not yield His glory to another!  Yes we need to recognize God working thru others and submit to the Lord’s direction thru them (Heb 13: 17), but not blindly like cattle being led to the slaughter.  1 Peter 5: 1-4 tells us that the elders should lead by example, not lording themselves over those entrusted to them.  Acts 17: 11 commends the Bereans as having a more noble character because not only did they receive the message, they also proved it by the Scriptures nightly. 

If we are living a godly life style can we expect to see Gods glory in our lives?  Colossians 1: 27 tells me that Christ in me is the hope of glory.  Therefore it is more than just a godly lifestyle; it is salvation thru Jesus Christ that allows Gods glory to be evident in my life.

So, how is Gods glory evident in my life?  By receiving His discipline and submitting to the changes that He brings to me.  Then I can walk humbly before the Lord, knowing that the good in my life has not come by my power or might, but by His Spirit.  Now people will be able to see God working in my life, God receiving all the glory.

Let us be clear, God not only reveals His glory thru us, but also reveals it thru spiritual manifestations.  One of these is gold dust.  I have not seen it myself but have heard the stories about it falling onto individuals and entire congregations to show that Gods glory was on them.  Recently I was told about a man’s encounter with a cashier.  He had picked up some items in a store and when he went to pay for them the cashier asked him what was all over him.  His replied that it was gold dust, that at times Gods glory would fall upon him.  The cashier did not believe him, so God gave Him a word of knowledge concerning the cashier.  The end result is that the cashier came to the Lord right then.

God is in the business of changing people’s hearts.  Isaiah 48 tells of a stubborn people, how God did not cut them off; rather He refined them for His name sake.  He offers us that same mercy and grace today.  That thru salvation by Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit within us, He will refine us thru the work of sanctification.  Romans 8: 28-30 tells us that those that He has called He also has glorified.

Do not be deceived by your own vanity or the deception of the evil one, the glory that is on our lives is not due to anything that we have done, it comes by the transformation into His likeness that brings increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. (2Cor 3:18)  Let us encourage each other to submit to the Lord’s disciplines so that His glory may shine in our lives.                                                

1 comment: