April 22, 2011

Ramblings of a Changing Man: Authority

by Steve Ferber
What authority do I have?  My own authority does not count for much, only that which is given to me really counts.  As a supervisor/ project manager I had much natural authority over many years.  Not only over men working under me, but as one who secured contracts for the company.  With this authority comes much responsibility and accountability.  My soul was well satisfied with this; it came to be how I identified myself.

The down turn in the construction industry a few years ago changed all that.  My job was eliminated due to downsizing at the company I was working for.  So I have been on a journey with the Lord for about two years.  It has turned my life upside down; all that I was sure of has been lost and replaced with a closer relationship with the Lord.

It now appears that he is teaching me in the area of spiritual authority.  In his column Ben Stine wrote that faith is not knowing that God can, but that God will.  This is the transition that I find myself in, I know that God can do all things but I have lacked the faith to know that he will.  Jesus walked among the people with authority over all things during His time on earth, but he did not always exercise it.  As he sought the Father at Gethsemane before Judas betrayed him, he asked that this cup (the punishment and crucifixion) be taken from him; but not His will, rather the Father's will be done (Mt 26: 36-42 ).  In my mind Jesus could have taken authority over the situation at any time, but He chose to follow the Father's will. 

Taking authority over something is to come into agreement with the Father, it is not a weapon that I use as I will.  I do not have to claim authority over anything; just agree with the authority that God has given to me in that situation.  What’s the difference?  Who’s in charge!   In Jn 14: 9-11 Jesus says that it is the Father, living in him, who is doing the work.  If I rely on my understand and feelings, then what I think the Lord wants to do can be tainted by my soul.

The Word of the Lord is like a two edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit.  We are to take up our cross daily, denying the flesh (my own ambitions), and follow Jesus Christ. (Lk 9: 23)  I am encouraged that the Lord loves me enough to discipline and refine me thru these hard times.  I anticipate that the hand of the Lord is with me, that I am coming to a place that God can trust me with His authority.  I realize that my reward is not the things that God does thru me; rather it is the increasing intimacy that I have with Him.

I encourage you to become more intimate with the Lord; this is where we will receive His authority.  In Matthew 16: 25 Jesus says that if we lose our lives to Him, then we will find it.  In other words, as I lose the life that my soul desires, I can gain the life that God has for me.  In John 15: 4-7 Jesus tells us that if we remain in him and his words remain in us, then we will be fruitful in Him.  We cannot bear good fruit by ourselves.  In remaining in him we have to be intimate with him, in agreement with his will. 

May God's mercy and grace be upon us as we walk through his disciplines, his love will sustain us.  Let us rest in his peace, knowing that as we abide in Him, he will release his authority thru us.

No comments:

Post a Comment