March 26, 2011

Ramblings of a Changing Man: Unity

by Steve Ferber
In 1984 Tammy and I, along with three others, went on a mission’s trip to Amsterdam, Holland.  The trip was for ‘Youth with a Mission’.  The Salvation Army had given them a building in the ‘red light district’ in Amsterdam.  They were having groups of skilled labor come at different times to help restore the building.  At the time I was a carpenter foreman; the skill set that we brought to the project was painting, wall papering, build a circular stair case and cabinets.  The trip was successful along with us learning some new life lessons.  One in particular for me was about unity.

Tammy and I had the privilege of staying with Judith and Wilber VanLaken.  We enjoyed sharing in their Christian lifestyle.  Wilber was part of a seven man counsel for Youth with a Mission.  He explained to me how they came to agreement on issues and decisions to be made.  There were three ways to vote; 1) I agree with you and will support you. 2) I disagree with you but I will support you. 3)  I cannot support you because I sense something wrong in the Spirit.  If this happened they would stop, seek God in prayer and fasting, and not move forward in this issue until there was full agreement.

It was not just agreement that brought unity, but the support that they gave to each other.  Support is an action; to give active help, encouragement or money to somebody or something.  The Bible tells us that faith without works is dead. (Jas 2:26)  Can we apply that principle here? That unity without support is dead.  To support you when I do not agree with you can be a very difficult thing.  I believe that what you want to do is right, but my way of doing it is better.  This is an issue with the soul!  God’s ways are not our ways. (Isa 55:8)  We have to be careful that we who have experience in certain areas think that this wisdom always prevails.  We are warned not to put much stock into our own wisdom.(1Co 3:18- 20)  Let us not think that our experience and wisdom would over rule another who is hearing from the Lord but does not appear to be as mature in the Lord  as we are.(Pr 14:12)

Recently Ray Abbott and I have been agreeing together about unity in the time of corporate prayer.  I received this writing from Ron Ross; it not only applies to intercessory prayer, but to unity in general.

I am learning slowly---that all effective intercession must first issue forth from Father's heart and then into and through my heart in agreement with Him, Jesus and Holy Spirit. We don't pray to Him/them, we pray with Him/them. I am just testing the waters of true intercession...

Intercession is not just saying religiously right words in the form called intercession...Father pour afresh your awesome heart into mine and I will agree with it!!! Your son, Ron 

No comments:

Post a Comment