March 24, 2011

Ramblings of a Changing Man: Power of the Cross

by Steve Ferber
The Scriptures are full of ‘miracles’.  We are encouraged by the physical healings, deliverances and other demonstrations of God’s power.  Today we ask the Lord to perform miracles among and thru His people for many reasons.  These manifestations cause our faith to increase and reveal that God loves us, healing and setting us free from bondages.  They also reveal God’s power to unbelievers.

I remember the times that I listened to testimonies telling of salvation, healing, and deliverance.  Sometimes I was listening intently and other times I was distant, ready to move on to something else.  I have to tell you that my callousness at these times was wrong!   Had I so easily forgotten the mercy and grace that God has shown me that I am unable to share in another’s joy?  This certainly reveals that I did not love others as He does.

Testimonies of God working in people’s lives should be exciting and encouraging.  For the words that we are hearing are just the ‘wrapping’ around the reality of God revealing His power thru changed lives.  Why do I say power?  Which is harder; to restore sight to the blind man or to change a hard heart?  The changing of a hard heart involves the freewill of an individual, so in my mind this is harder.  Therefore, if God’s power is revealed thru healing, then it is also revealed in changed lives.  We are promised that we will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on us.(Ac 1:8)  We must never forget that all things are possible with God.

Thru Jesus dying on the cross, God has provided us with a means of reconciling ourselves to Him.  We think of the blood sacrifice which is the atonement for our sin along with His body being broken for our healing.  How often do we think about submitting to the Holy Spirit?  Because Jesus died on the Cross the Holy Spirit was sent to dwell within us.(1Co 3:16)  We see the Holy Spirit as our helper.(Jn 16:13)  Is the Holy Spirit going to help me to become what I understand as God’s will for my life; or will He help me to surrender to God’s will?  What’s the difference between the two?  Attitude!  Who’s really in charge here?  We say God, but what do our actions show? Do I hate my neighbor?  Would I really put others’ well being above my own? (1 Co 10:24) As I examine the fruits of my life does it reflect Christ like behavior or look more like me?  God says that to save my life that I first must lose it. (Mt 16:25)  So for my spirit to become stronger I must be bringing my soul into submission of the spirit. (Gal  5:16)

This is why we do not want to lose sight of the power of God that works thru the cross.  Not just for salvation but for sanctification.  Daily we are to pick up our cross, submitting our souls to the Holy Spirit. (Lk 9:23, 24)  We need to move forward, growing in His character continually, pressing forward to achieve the goal of Christ likeness. (Heb 6:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment