March 30, 2011

Clarity at the Clothesline

by Linda Hagen
Twitterin' birds and buzzin' bees inspired a foray through the junk drawer to find the old clothespins.  This perfect spring day called for hanging freshly washed white sheets outside in the backyard-something I don't normally do.

Morning sun was making its way through the trees on the mountain as I completed my sheet hanging task and propped up the line with a pole.  Warming, soft breezes came to help and swayed the line gently back and forth.

As I stepped back to admire my work, and that of the Creator, my mind flashed back to another backyard many years ago, and another clothesline.  I could see myself there as a young woman, hanging up clothes.  That too, may have been a perfect spring morning, but I don't recall noticing.

What I do remember clearly about that moment, is being greatly annoyed at not having a clothes dryer, aggravated that this drudgery of hanging up laundry took so much of my time (of which I seemed to have precious little).  In retrospect, I seemed disturbed about much.  Some things of very legitimate concern, some other things....well maybe not.

Lord, I don't remember you all those years ago. Did you see me?

So now, the irony of this present idyllic scene was inescapable. All these many years later, I have a nice clothes dryer and I have the time, yet here I stand by choice, clothespins in hand.  And yes, actually enjoying myself. What does this mean?

Much has changed since then; a rich lifetime of experiences-most of which I couldn't have imagined.  Abiding satisfaction and joy, exquisite suffering, and all that's in between.  I have learned to recognize your hand in everything and am humbled.

Yet in spite of perfect spring days such as this, disturbances just below the surface, intrude.  Unwelcome, but undeniable.  A whole new collection of legitimate concerns, and questions.

Do you see me?

Just then, a fresh wind gathered and was sent surging up the hollow. I heard it coming.  The white sheets billowed and flapped in response, and then reaching for me, released their fragrance.  Oh, that familiar, clean fragrance that soothes the soul. I breathed deep.

The sun, in agreement with the moment, burst over the tree tops and loosed its light, its blinding brilliance reflected upon the whiter than snow sheets.

And then, there it was- that peace that invades and warms me, in spite of myself and my legitimate concerns.  Your peace Lord, for which I have no explanation, except that you see me.

Perfect.

3 comments:

  1. Love this!

    It reminds me of what I learned years ago about Jehovahjireh. This name of God actually means, "the God who sees". The word 'sees' is sometimes translated 'provides'. So,when He sees us, with His seeing comes the provision.Perhaps they are the same to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly beautiful. Thank you for sharing this piece of yourself. I identify so well with the women in this story (you), and am encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful vivid description. I was there with you, in both instances. I could smell the sheets! Thankyou for reminding us that HE SEES us even when we aren't looking for HIM! Love you!

    ReplyDelete