November 15, 2011

The Water


by Scottie Joines
The voices whispered to me,
softly rustling, breaking glass.
Did they know?  Could they hear
the demons screaming about the past?
Tink, tink, tink goes the sound of the glass.
As loud as a hurricane,
but only to me.
I was alone but you were there,
barely there…
Wanting more than you could spare
as I slowly melted into death.
It’s arms embracing, trapping, smothering.
You said my lips were blue.
You said, my love, you were scared.
You didn’t want to lose me,
but you didn’t know how to help.
As my head lay flat
looking sideways at the room,
I thought how lovely the desert was this time of year.
How absurd it was to see
the cross and the flag
on the top of that black mountain,
as the dust of my Father blew away into the wind.
I stared out from behind
my widened eyes, hiding,
 pretending that I wasn’t running scared.
Who can fix me? Who will care?
SHHHHHH…
What was that? A voice? A song?
A rushing stream of water?
It was cool and calm,
flowing through my ears.
“Come up here,” The water said,
“I will heal you, I will hear you,
I will love you.” He said.
Is it real? Does anyone else hear it too?
“It’s time.” He said.
The voices screamed in resistance,
“It’s not true, you’re crazy.” They said.
NO.
I could hear the rushing water, I could feel the cool renewing peace.
I drank.
“I love you.” He said.
I drank. Deeply.
I wanted more but I was no longer thirsty or alone.
The voices were silenced
as He rode in gallantly to slay the demons.
My Savior, the Christ.

2 comments:

  1. This is an awsome poem sweety. My eyes get watery reading it.
    Jason Joines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou sweetheart! I love you. I appreciate your covering and your kind words!
    Scottie

    ReplyDelete