November 25, 2011

If My People Part 3- The Vacant


by Keith Gardner
2 Chronicles 7:14 “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

It does not take much spiritual depth to realize that we are in violation of our contract. I do not intend to debate here, but for the sake of clarity I do wish to lay a foundation for our need for a proper reply; our remediation. In Romans chapter nine, Paul lays out a persuasive argument that the promise of the Israelites has been made available to the Gentiles; you and me. We have received the promised salvation and the subsequent responsibility; representing God as a holy people, a royal priesthood. The contract between God and his people of 2 Chronicles 7 is in violation and the remediation phase must begin or we face the certain destruction as laid out in Leviticus 26.
Here in lies the problem. As a nation rich in Christian traditions and a rooted belief in the God of the Bible, we have experienced the favor and steady hand of God. Unfortunately, we have also taken credit for God’s protection, and have become a proud people. We have bought the lies of courage, strength, determination and rugged individualism.

Our first reply is humility. In the new American tradition this word has no meaning. Our first important step is to rediscover humility in the reality of God’s intentions. The Marlboro man is a myth. Our real strength is not in our determination, but is in the sustaining grace of a loving God. He is our source, our will to continue, our very present help in times of trouble. Humility is the empting of ourselves, in the proximity of God’s presence. We will not experience true humility as long as we continue trusting our bank accounts and 401k’s. Our ability to solve problems and to make money is a road block to seeing our plight. God will remove this obstacle.

The money, the problem solving, and even the determination is not the problem in itself. It is the reliance on these things instead of our relying on God. It is the use of the blessing for self-indulgence instead of seeking God for His will and purpose. Your talents, gifts, education and blessings were not and are not meant to be self-serving, but God serving first and others serving second. Do not misunderstand here; we cannot give our way out of trouble. Giving is the evidence of the real problem; pride. Pride must be dealt with; the giving becomes natural once the problem is gone.

Revelation 3:17-22  You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent.  Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

The time is short; there is no more time to waste. Now is the moment to empty ourselves of all that we think we have and know. Seek the face of God; He will teach us humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment