November 29, 2011

If My People Part 4 - Face to Face


by Keith Gardner
2 Chronicles 7:14 “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

Turning to prayer and seeking the face of God is the natural response to emptying ourselves from our own self-importance. Realizing that everything I think I am amounts to dung in comparison to the greatness of God, the creator of all things (Php. 3:8).  Jesus explains it this way, the least of us become the greatest in the kingdom of God. Becoming vacant of ourselves is not a matter of our will; it is in the working of the Holy Spirit that the layers of our works mentality are torn away and burned to show their true worth. In the great tales of the Bible nearly every guest of God summonsed into His presence fall as though dead. This is our true response to His holiness compared to our lacking.

When we are emptied we develop a need response. It is clearly seen in the example of the trailblazers of our faith. Enoch walked close to God and then he was no more. Abram follows after the promise of God. Joseph trusted God regardless of his circumstances. Samuel heard God as a boy and continued listening, Elisha asked for a double portion. Daniel sought God in spite of the threats. Jesus prayed let this cup pass before me, yet not my will but your will be done, Paul screamed; I want to know Christ, and the power of his love and the fellowship of sharing in his suffering. John reveled in the isolation that brought about the revelation of God’s plan. Our need response is the thirst to do the will of the Father.

I am sure you have heard it said just as I have heard it; prayer is simply talking to God. This is a good thought in describing our fellowship with God to an unbeliever; to a fellow Christian our description needs clarification. Our right reaction once we have completed our humbling is to take pause and to listen. Our Heavenly Father has something to say and He will tell us what we need to know. Our land is in revolt from our sins, discipline and repentance is in order. Revelation 3:19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Our second response is repentance. Our violation of a sacred trust has been broken, understanding our sins and seeking God’s forgiveness is the only remaining response.

Repentance is followed by seeking the face of God. The best way I can find to describe this is a small child sitting in his father’s lap rubbing, studying, and memorizing the face of his dad.  God loves us, He wants us. We were created for that intimacy with our Heavenly Father. The barriers of sin have been demolished and the bonds of love restored. Seeking His face is about that glorious fellowship.

No comments:

Post a Comment