October 5, 2011

Hello, are you there?


by Keith Gardner

Psalms 13:1-4 How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and answer, O LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death; my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

Have you ever been at that place where your prayers don’t seem to go anywhere; in fact just finding the words to pray seems impossible? Not long ago sitting in the presence of God was your delight; late in the evening, or perhaps early in the morning you would rest in the shadows of His holiness. But now you crawl up to that solitary place, your hideaway where God usually meets you, and you’re still alone.


David found himself in such a place. David went from an obscure shepherd to a giant slayer; from king apparent to hiding in caves. Job, a favorite of God’s, went from great wealth to being lonely, sick and destitute. Daniel prayed for a word from God. For twenty days he waited for God’s reply. John, a disciple of Jesus, was banished to a small rocky island.

How did these men handle their conditions? Their faith remained unwavered. They knew the source of their strength and the provider of their needs. God is always faithful.

David would have never been the king he was, without the trials of hiding from Saul. Running for his life and hiding from Saul is what tuned the heart of David. He learned the hard lessons of patience; waiting for God to make His purpose work. David became the great king God always intended.

Job refused to curse God. He refused to listen to the advice of his wife or his three friends. God could do as He pleased, Job reasoned. God restored Job’s family and his wealth.

Daniel continued in his fasting and his prayer. God’s reply came on the twenty-first day.

John, in his solitude, received a word from God and penned the book of Revelation.

Your waiting, like mine, my never turnout in such fantastic ways, but rest assured God is not wasting His time, and His purpose will be fulfilled.

Psalms 13:5-6 But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment