July 8, 2011

Seed of the Blessing

by Keith Gardner

Did God tell you something long ago? Years have passed since a word came to you and you have waited and waited for it to be fulfilled. Many times in the dark days you wondered if you were mistaken. You doubted your ability to hear God. “It was a daydream; wishful thinking”; you would say as you consoled yourself. Over the distance of time you would hear those words again, a reminder of the promise. After a while you became afraid to listen; it is easier not to be disappointed. Time passes, your faith has grown and your relationship with your Heavenly Father is closer than ever; still you avoid the topic. You’re afraid to ask; “What about those words spoken long ago? Was I mistaken? Have my sins disappointed you so badly that they no longer hold true? Was I wrong?” But still you do not ask. It’s easier not knowing.

Gen 12:1-3       The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you. "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."

Imagine with me for a moment, you are Abram. You hear God speak to you a promise; a good promise, one of greatness and wealth. You say yes, and you go and you wait, and you wait, and you wait. You have good times and bad times. You are blessed; well taken care of, but still the promise has not come. Be careful now, you know the end of the story. But Abram did not; he was still waiting, still wondering.

Another word comes, the reminder.

Gen 17:5-7       No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations. I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you.

Abraham’s time has passed. We know the story. Our salvation is the fruit of his promise.  God kept his word, he always does. Abraham did not see the promise fulfilled still he never gave up in his hope.

Rom 4:13         It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith.

Like Abraham you may never see the promise fulfilled, but by your hope in an ever faithful God, your faithfulness to the promise may plant a seed that bears fruit for generations to come. Never give up hope; never give up believing; never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment