June 23, 2011

Prepare YOU, the way of the Lord: Alive In Christ... Really?

by Steve Ferber
It has been amazing how I have been happy to live in my delusions in the past.  Now this is a strong word, when we think of someone being delusional it evokes a strong response in us.  We think of those under the influence of drugs, demonic activity or mental conditions.  I want to use this definition; delusion, 1.a false belief… a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence, especially as a symptom of a psychiatric condition.

Just so you know, as a Christian I have not been under the influence of drugs, demonic activity or mental conditions.  But I have been under the influence of my soul!  Now we know that this is not a good thing, especially if my soul is not in submission to my spirit, who is in submission to the Holy Spirit.  The perceptions from my soul are not always based on the truth; many times they are based on “false realities”.  A combination of things that I know which I base my belief system on.  The problem is that “the things I know” are affected by my emotions and intellect.  There lays the problem! My belief system can become “delusional” if it does not come into alignment with God.  Do you think that you have not done this… well think again!  Is 53: 6 We like sheep have all gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; And Is 55:8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways” declares the Lord.

So… just how “alive in Christ” am I?  Well, I’m saved thru grace, water baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit.  That’s pretty much alive, don’t you think?  No, it’s really just the beginning, the basis of our walk with our Lord Jesus Christ.  As we have laid this foundation, let us move on to the work of sanctification, becoming more Christ like.  I had an interesting conversation with Alan Smith the other day; we were talking about surrendering to the Lord, dying to self and becoming who we are in Christ.  It is more about becoming who we are in Christ; as we become more like Him, then the other things will just fall away.  This went right along with a teaching I received on repentance.  That it was just not turning away from something, but also turning to Christ.  Therefore, the more I turn away from who I have become, and begin to walk in who He has created me to me, the more “alive” I will be in Christ.

2 Peter 1: 3-11 talks about making ones calling sure.  We can use it as a guide to how “alive” we are in Christ.  2 Pe1: 5-9 for this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge self-control; and to self-control perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.  For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, then they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But if anyone does not have them he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.  Therefore my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure.  For if you do those things, you will never fall….

I want to encourage you to look at your life… how effective and productive are you in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ?  James 2: 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accomplished by action, is dead.  If you find yourself in the stagnant waters of luke-warmessness, repent of your lazy, selfish ways and return to the Lord.  If you find that your motivations are more about you than service to the Lord, then repent of your pride and self serving ways; ask the Father to give you clarity in vision so that you may serve His purposes in your life.  Proverbs 18: 21 Many are the plans in a mans heart, but it is the Lords purpose that prevails.

No matter where we find ourselves in our walk with the Lord, we know that we must be increasing in the Lord Jesus Christ.  Therefore let us encourage each other daily, so that we can truthfully say…

Alive in Christ… Yes, really!

1 comment:

  1. I like this one. I had to come back and read it again. Awesome word Steve. Good job!!!
    Scottie

    ReplyDelete