May 13, 2011

Prepare YOU, the way of the Lord

by Steve Ferber
Easter Sunday, what a wonderful celebration for us Christians!  A time of celebrating the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Churches may celebrate a little differently, but we all rejoice in the fact that thru the blood of Jesus Christ our sins our forgiven and by His stripes (the physical punishment he endured prior to the crucifixion) we are healed.

This year the Lord led my family and I to do something completely different than we had always done. God had given Lee a vision of celebrating Easter with the community that surrounded Harris Park, in Statesville NC.  What a wonderful time, the pork barbeque and chicken was delicious.  There were side dishes, deserts and drinks along with live music from various people.  It was such a blessing to those that came, and I believe to those that served there.  All those that helped, whether it was the labor in setup and teardown, cooking or serving the food, children’s activities, music and sharing about the Lord, all did it with an obvious joy.  It was especially good for me when Josiah was helping with serving drinks, Lauren was helping with children and my wife Tammy came to be a support even when she had injured her knee and could hardly walk.  When it was over and we were at home, Lauren asked that if being out in the sun all day can make you feel this good.  I said sure, the sun can increase the levels of serotonin which effects your mood, but in this case it was the spiritual contentment that comes with doing something for others that was making her feel good.  I am sure that all those who were involved felt the same way.

The joy of the Lord is our strength (Ne 8:10).  I used to think that meant that God would give me deposits of joy when I needed it.  I don’t think that way anymore; I believe that the joy of the Lord is actually built into my character when I allow God to make changes in my life.  Then it becomes a natural thing to be joyful in the things that I do.  This is a powerful witness to others who may be going thru hard times.  We should always be prepared to share about the good things that the Lord has done in our lives. (Isa 63:7)
I recall the account of Jesus riding into Jerusalem on a donkey.  The people viewed it as a triumphant entry and laid down palm branches in front of him, they were preparing the way of the Lord into the city.  But it is different for us today.  Jesus is no longer walking on this earth in the form of a man; he is sitting at the right hand of the Father.  So, what are we to do now?

A lot of us western Christians like to hire others to do these works of the service.  We do this by expecting our pastors and others who are paid by our tithes and offerings to do everything, I do not find this example anywhere in the New Testament.  (Eph 4:11-13) tells us that the five fold -ministry was given for the perfection of the saints to do the works of the service.  So….. it is us who are to do the works of the service in Christ Jesus.  Jesus said that we are to pick up our cross and follow Him.  Many times I wonder at what cost this is to us?  The enemy would whisper into our ears that we will lose everything that we have; this produces a struggle in us, I want to serve the Lord but it is hard to lose things in the process.  How clever the enemy is in getting us to focus on ourselves.

How do we prepare ourselves to do the works of the service?  Many do not even know who they are in Christ Jesus.  In most cases who we have become is not who God has created us to be.  (Ro. 8:29) tells us that we are to be Christ like.  When I lose my identity in Christ I am not actually losing anything important, rather I am gaining fullness in Christ, what God has created me to be.

So what are these works of the service?  Jesus said that we are to visit the imprisoned, pray for the sick and give to the poor among many other things.  We are to do good to others, supporting them in love and compassion.  It is not so hard to see all the good that can be done around us; if we allow the Holy Spirit to guide us we will find many opportunities to do good.
May we esteem others more highly than ourselves so that pride does not hinder our works for the Lord.  Father, create in us a pure heart, full of compassion and love for others.  Enable us to do the works of the service not because you said to, but because we want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment