January 16, 2014

Road Revealed

by Linda Hagen

I found a new road last week. More accurately, I discovered an old road that I had not seen before. While on a walkabout, I paused to catch my breath, and there it was. Revealed.
Sure, there were big trees and brush growing within its boundaries, but the old wheel ruts were still faintly visible. The natural slope of the mountainside subtly interrupted. Yup. It was a road alright. Like a truth revealed, once I saw it, I could not "unsee"it. "Come and follow me," the road beckoned. "Have courage. Have faith."

This was not the first revealed road in my life here in this mountainside "kingdom." There have been many. Some remain from when the property was timbered decades ago. Others, much older and only faintly visible, are left over from times past when there were vast orchards tended by men with mules and two wheeled carts. In some places there are stones piled up just so, used to provide stability along the roads where fruit trees grew. It is said that the stones may have been placed there by slaves so long ago. And of course, everywhere are the wildlife trails traversed daily by the natural inhabitants.

Who has gone here before, I wonder as I wander. Loggers, mountain folk, laborers, freemen and slave, and before that, The Native American hunter. Sometimes, I find evidence of them left like little signs along the way. A rusty rifle barrel, an iron wheel, a stone foundation. What joys were theirs to discover? What obstacles were theirs to suffer?

The mountain has been here from the beginning. 

Trekking ever upward, one notices that the roads crisscross back and forth over each other, forming intersections of old and older, the narrow way and the wide open, the obvious and the obscure, the sunlit and the shadowed. The wanderer must decide-left or right? Forward or turn back? Standing at an intersection, there is no clear indication of all that lies ahead in any direction.
I have come to think of these roads as chapters in a life. The glorious, the shocking, and the everyday. But never what you expected when you started out. I have, however, learned a profound truth. All roads  in the kingdom eventually lead to the top of the mountain; an otherwordly place graced with ancient trees, giant rock slabs, and cushions of grass. On the top there is rest for the body and relief for the soul. Peace floats in on the breeze like a gift , carrying with it hope for God's eternal plan, in defiance of everything going on down below.  His presence is thick all around. I don't yet make my home on the top, but I visit often. I look forward to the day when all who lived and died here in the kingdom will gather there.

In the winter when all seems bleak and lifeless is actually the best time for a liferoad walk. One sees further and more clearly through the trees. What might be revealed? Sometimes, I like to go "offroad" and just take off across the mountainside, exploring as I go.

Once, coming across the faintest of game trails, I followed it to discover a secret clearing known only to the deer. Perfection complete with a rock cliff, trickling waterfall and green moss carpeting.  Circle depressions in the grass told of the deer that had slept there the night before.

A glorious secret. Revealed!

Another time, following a beckoning life road, the road abruptly ended. I went on a good ways through the trees expecting to find a cross road, a way to the top, but rock cliffs blocked the way.

I turned back, intending to return to the road, but absolutely could not find it. Being strong, I decided to go straight up. Slippery slopes, hidden holes, sliding rocks, and saw briars that tear at the flesh met me at every step. Losing my footing, I slid out of control down the steep and rocky slope. Stomach churning, head spinning fear took over. My descent ended abruptly at a tree. Fear and Regret  said, "How did this happen? You have never been in this situation before. You have lost your way! What will happen now? How will you find your way?  You should have turned left early on, not right. Maybe this wouldn't have happened at all."
Getting up (you've got to get up) I tried to collect myself, but the shock of it all caused me to lose my bearings. The familiar landmarks were not where they belonged. Taking a new direction, I found a crossroad. All roads in the kingdom eventually lead to the top, and I found myself there.   ( It was not far at all.) I arrived battered and bruised, cut and bleeding, but reassurance waited for me there. Hope floated in on the breeze. Bearing and perspective slowly returned, though scars remain.

Having lived in this kingdom for many years, I still don't know the answers to some of the basic questions. Do I claim a victorious road and exult in my cleverness (a gift from God) at the revealed secret place of the deer. Did I choose the path or was I led there, allowing the gift of discovery.

On the other hand, how do I explain being blindsided by loss and falling so far? Did I choose that road, or was it chosen for me? Why?

This I do know. All roads in the Kingdom eventually lead to the mountaintop.

So now, I am contemplating this newly discovered road. I cannot know what glorious secrets or grave dangers wait. Who has gone before and what signs did they leave along the way to cheer me on? "Have courage, have faith" the road beckons.

Yes, I will explore the newly revealed road. I know where it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment