September 26, 2012

The Two Faces of the Religious Spirit

by Keith Gardner


People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

Mark 10:13-16 (NIV)

The religious spirit is not a phrase that we find in the Bible, but the concept is as old as the creation of man. This unrighteous spirit is easily described by all the appearances of being spiritual. It is the idea that my goodness is defined by how well I demonstrate my devotion to God. It is the works side of Christian service. I prove my faithfulness by doing good things. I show my spirituality by my pious demeanor. We all probably know someone like this. In fact, I would expect that we have been this person at one time or another; maybe even now.

Being faithful in our service to God is a good thing. It is the source of our goodness that determines the value of our faithfulness. Isaiah 64:6 reminds us that “all of our righteous act are like filthy rags” when we compare our efforts to the righteousness of a perfect and holy God. Paul teaches us; “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do” Ephesians 2:8-10 (NIV).

God, deliver us from our self-effort. It is in your mercy, and in the demonstration of your grace that I am able to petition you as my Heavenly Father. My I never forget that my efforts do not bring about my righteousness, but instead it is my abiding in you that delivers me into the arms of your grace. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

There is another and uglier side of the religious spirit. I think it is found in the offspring of a self-righteous parent. It is the child not able to measure up to the goodness of the godly. There seems to develop an unholy understanding that my many sins demonstrate my unworthiness, and forgiveness is not in the grasp of a soul filled with such wicked thoughts.

But thank God, it is by His great love that I have been reconciled to Him. It is in the idea of the Father that, for God so love His creation that He sent His Son to save us all from our sins. God did not wait until we were good enough to send Jesus. Jesus came when we were already without hope. Sin was already rampant. The only thing my many sins demonstrated was just how much I needed a savoir. Forgiveness is meant to be grabbed by one filled with the hopelessness of wicked thoughts.

Father, deliver us from the evil thought that we can never be good enough for you. For you have made every provision for my righteousness; by your mercy; and by your love, to wonderful for me to understand, you have provided for me the gift of salvation. You have adopted me into your family. Salvation is your gift to me. Not because I have acted rightly, but because you love me. I accept this gift, thank you. In Jesus’ name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment