January 10, 2012

Contentment


by Keith Gardner
1 Timothy 6:6-8 But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.

There is a fear of lack that pervades my thinking. Even though I have plenty of food to eat, and cloths to wear, I sometimes worry about tomorrow. I live in a comfortable, warm home, and I am surrounded by my family and friends, but still in the back of my mind are thoughts trying to invade my thinking; how long will this last? What catastrophe will over take me; what misfortune will cause all of this to come crashing down?

There is a fear of lack that handcuffs the creative thinking that God wove into our spirits. We were meant to move, by the spirit of God, into and out of the provisions of heaven with the same ease that we now move into and out of our refrigerators. Paul teaches us in Philippians 4:11-13; “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength“. In our abundant living, doing without seems ungodly and there is a false idea here that Paul is teaching us that contentment requires learning to do without. The reality is Paul is teaching us that having or not having is nothing. Contentment is found in knowing our provider.

Jesus demonstrated this to Peter. Peter and the other disciples in following Jesus basically lived with him for three years. Jesus provided food and shelter, he even paid their taxes; but after Jesus’ crucifixion the disciples were once again providing for themselves. John 21 tells the story of Peter and other disciples going back to their old trade. At this point the disciples knew that Jesus was resurrected. They had already seen him at least two times before. The fishermen fished all night and caught nothing. Jesus standing on the shore told the seasoned fishermen to cast their nets on the other side of the boat. When they did they caught more fish that they could haul. Peter, recognizing it was Jesus, got out of the boat and went to Him. The others followed shortly afterwards. Jesus was once again providing for them. He had cooked some fish and bread. There was a lesson here for Peter; a lesson we would do well to learn. Jesus did not need a net to catch fish. There is plenty of fish in heaven.

The creativity of heaven will provide all that we need. Just as Peter, after he was filled with Jesus’ provision that early morning, was directed to feed the sheep of God’s flock. We too are being called. Just as Jesus did not need to go fishing to feed Peter; Peter did not need to go fishing to feed the sheep. Heaven is waiting for the truly faithful to trust in the One who provides good things to those who ask. Creativity is in the spirit of the one not bound by the fear of lack, and contentment is the result of trusting in the One who provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment